ShrinkRapt patient billing statements can be customized to provide your patient with the information they need, as little or as much as that might be. To begin customizing your statements, choose Preferences from the Setup menu bar.
When the Preferences window appears, click the Billing Statement ta. On this page you can select the information you want to include on the statements you send to patients.
In the Transaction Range area, select the beginning and ending time period for transactions to be included on the statement. As an example, if you print statements on the 5th of each month and you want the statement to list all visits and payments from the previous month, choose Previous Month as the start day and Previous Month as the end day. Choosing First Of Year as the start day will include all transactions since January 1st and so on.
The statement has header, transaction detail and footer areas. In each of these areas you can choose to include or exclude several pieces of information.
- Return Address: prints your practice address in the upper left hand corner of the statement.
- Tax Identification Number: will add your social security or employer identification number.
- For the professional services of: adds this phrase plus your name on the right hand side of the statement header.
- Make checks payable to: click the check box to add this phrase to the header and then select if you want the payee to be your name or your practice name.
- ICD Code and CPT Code: check these boxes to print the codes entered in the visit records.
- CPT Description: if this is checked, the code description will print on the statement
- Patient Name With Each Visit: statements are always addressed to the responsible party. When this item is checked the name of the patient who attended the visit will appear on the visit line in the description area.
- Sort Transactions By: transactions can be sorted by chronologically (recommended) or by visit id. If visit id is selected, payments will be grouped next to the visit where they was applied.
- Aged Balance: when checked, a line will printed showing the outstanding balance broken down by 1-30 days, 31-60 days past due, 61-90 days past due, and over 90 days past due.
- Past Due Message: enter a message to include when the balance due is over 30 days old. As an example your message might read “Your balance is past due. Please remit payment.”
As you can see, your Billing Statements can easily be customized to provide your patients with the information they need. In a future post we will discuss the different types of statements available and how to choose the one the is best for your practice.
4 thoughts on “Customizing Patient Statements”
How can I customize patient statements to exclude insurance fees/payments and only show patient copayments due/paid? Even with the only-show-client-transactions-on-statements button selected on a patient’s account page insurance fees and payments are included. Thanks!
June, thanks for asking. There are two things that must be setup to make this happen.
1. On the Account page of the person receiving the statement, choose Patient Balance Only.
2. The responsible party (person receiving the statement) must also be the insured and Policy – Yes must be selected on the Policy page.
I want to give client a monthly statement of the copayments they have paid, not amount due. Following your instructions above, the statement shows zero. How doe we create a statement that shows what they paid?
Karen – statements by definitions show charges, payments, adjustments and current balance due. If you want to provide the patient with only a list of payments, you can use the payments list feature to create and print a list. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for detailed instructions to do this.